VF Volunteers for Earth Day
Tags: Sustainability & Responsibility VF in the Community
VF Volunteers for Earth Day
April 22, 2016
As one of the largest apparel and footwear companies in the world, VF has a responsibility to help build a better future for the industry, our company and associates, and the communities where we operate. One way VF does this is by encouraging and empowering associates to get involved in service opportunities in the communities where they live, work and play. Earth Day is one of those opportunities.
Across VF, each region and brand creates its own programs based upon community need and associate interests. For some brands, this means spending a day volunteering in the community. For others, it is a weekend charity bike-ride. The opportunity to give back is consistently cited by VF associates as one of the key reasons they are proud to work at VF.
In conjunction with Earth Day, thousands of VF associates contribute their time and expertise to make a difference. This year, more than 1,400 associates across the VF and its family of brands are lending their time and hard work to volunteer.
- At VF’s world headquarters in Greensboro, North Carolina, more than 330 associates from VF Corporate and VF Jeanswear volunteered at 18 different projects at four local organizations on April 15. Associates joined forces to paint park benches, revitalize gardens and complete a variety of improvement projects. In total, these 330-plus associates volunteered a total of 840 volunteer hours in one day, the equivalent of 21 work weeks.
- Timberland® is celebrating Earth Day throughout its EMEA locations. More than 250 associates at five different offices – Stabio, Switzerland; Milan, Italy; Wexham, United Kingdom; Paris, France; and Almelo, Netherlands – are volunteering with local organizations in April and May to revitalize area parks and promote eco-sustainability.
- In Hong Kong and China, 200 Timberland associates are tackling projects in their local community. On April 22 in Hong Kong, associates are working with YMCA Hong Kong at the Tung Chung Green Organic Farm to understand more about organic farming, and help plant and clean areas on the farm. And in Shanghai on April 25, associates are collaborating with Shanghai Oasis to help revitalize a local beach.
- On April 21 in Alameda, California, associates from The North Face®, lucy® and JanSport® teamed up with four local organizations on nine volunteer projects. About 300 associates helped collect 3,300 pounds of trash, build a communal gathering space, pull weeds, mulch and plant 1,200 native seedlings.
- For the last five years, more than 350 Vans® associates in Cypress, California have completed local service projects to honor Earth Day. On April 29, associates will tackle a beach cleanup and local wetland restoration.
VF is committed to giving back to the communities where its employees live and work. The company understands that being an actively engaged local citizen is both good for the community and good for business—and it takes this responsibility seriously.